Thursday, December 8, 2011

Heart disease - seriously?

As a 49 year old mother of a young son, and a brand new grandmother, hearing the words "you are in heart failure" and "you have heart disease" and "you may eventually need a pacemaker" did not really sink in.  Surely this cardiologist was being overly cautious and pessimistic!  When he said, "idiopathic (no idea where it came from) dilated cardiomyopathy", I decided to do my own research.  Loving web searches anyway, this was my opportunity to do more with the internet than kill time.  But the more I learned, the more discouraged I became.  So many people with this disease seemed to give up on life; surely that was not the whole story.  And it isn't!  I decided then and there to start a blog as soon as I knew more about this diagnosis.  Using this media to encourage other relatively young women who hear those words, "dilated cardiomyopathy" is my main goal.  The name of the blog is a wordplay on Psalm 57:7 and Psalm 112:7.  My heart is fixed on God and God has fixed my heart.  It's been almost a year since I was diagnosed and I will tell you my story.  I hope to hear from other ladies who share this disease.  Stay tuned - I have a lot more to say!

No comments:

Post a Comment