Monday, January 16, 2012


So, I take Crestor because it lowers bad cholesterol and triglycerides; both of which are especially harmful for cardiomyopathy people.  But all of the negative publicity about Crestor recently has me concerned.  I even stopped it for a few days while I pondered the news.  When I went to pick up my refill last night ($72.00 even with the discount!), I forgot to ask the pharmacist for his opinion.  From what I've read, some of the diabetes risk is due to folks thinking that since they are on Crestor, they can now just eat whatever the heck they feel like eating....haha.  I'm laughing but I actually know someone like that.  So, anyway, I will ask my cardiologist the next time I'm in.  But for now, I'm sticking with the Crestor.

On a happier note, I am still walking regularly and planning to get together a team for the Mini Heart-Marathon coming up on March 18th.  I'll just walk 5k but others can run, or walk 10k if they want - more power to them!  This takes place a day after my 51st birthday so it is a fitting way to celebrate another year of life.  I feel great 95% of the time.  The other 5% of the time I feel a little short of breath.  The only side effects from my meds are occasional irritability - usually as I am falling asleep, or a dry cough from the ace inhibitor.  But even these side effects rarely happen so I won't complain.  Still working towards my goal of losing 40# by mid-summer and my best friend is going to help me; she sent me a Zumba workout tape today - can't wait to get home tonight to try it out! 

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Free Gift With Purchase

A big box arrived at my home last week from Boston Scientific.  Apparently, when you spend $72,000+ with them, you also get a "free gift".  Reminds me of a special TV offer....."if you act now, we'll not only install a pacemaker in your chest, you'll also get this handy keep-at-home-by-your-bed monitor that will alert your physician if your heart goes haywire".  I haven't opened the box yet; doing so would signify to my brain that I am, indeed, constantly being monitored.  I already got a phone call yesterday from a paid solicitor asking if I share the views of those who participated in "Tea Party Protests".   Call me paranoid, but, I don't need anyone else monitoring me....haha  Yes, eventually I will open it and keep it by my bed like a good little patient, but not just yet.....perhaps when I'm 65.

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Testimony Time

This morning at church we had an old fashioned "testimony time".  I sincerely wish that I had participated.  You would never know it, but I am actually kind of shy.  So here is my testimony that I wouldn't share with my church family, who know me and love me, but I will share with all of cyberspace.....go figure.

A little over one year ago, I was in a bad spot.  Anything the least bit strenuous was too much of an effort for me.   Just thinking about a busy schedule put me in a panic.  Depression was beginning to set in and I thought I was doomed to feel that way for the rest of my life.  Though my prayer life was consistent, I didn't feel that I was getting through to God.  Little did I know that there were very real physical reasons for the way I felt.  Let me say that I honestly believe in supernatural healing and have known people whom God has instantly healed from whatever disease or sickness they had, even cancer!  But you must first realize that you actually have a disease, and I did not.  Once I knew that I had heart disease, I did begin believing that God could and would supernaturally heal me.  By June I was sure that the medicine and prayer had completely healed me and that the test results would prove that.  Hopefully you will not think that a lack of faith or some hidden sin is what caused me not to be instantaneously healed.  Only God knows the reason why I needed to go a step further.  But what I am most thankful for is that He allowed me to live.  Getting a pacemaker/defibrillator made sense and I do not consider it a lack of faith.  The test results were no better in July than they had been in January, though I felt completely healed.  God gives wisdom and, in His wisdom, He showed me that it was best to take the advice of my physician and have the device installed.  Today, one year later, I AM healed, living stronger than before.  Looking back, I see many times He spared my life when I completely ignored the signs of heart failure.  Now that, my friends, is a testimony!