Friday, December 30, 2011

Medical Massage

My first massage was in a fancy spa as a treat for my daughter and I during her senior year of high school.  Then my best friend took me to a spa on my 50th birthday; that was my second massage.  I thoroughly enjoyed both of them.  Since they are expensive, those were two rare treats for me.  However, I now have a monthly appointment with a medical massage therapist. This is something that is covered by your health savings account if you are lucky enough to have one.  I highly recommend it !!  Shortly after my device was implanted, when I was still experiencing physical pain, I asked my cardiologist office if it was OK since I thought it might make me feel better.  As long as there is not a deep tissue massage, nothing magnetic, and the immediate area of your device is avoided, there is absolutely no danger.  On an emotional level, it is incredible to encounter someone not afraid that you will "break" if they touch you.  The first massage was so relaxing that now I am hooked.  My new therapist is a young single mother just starting out with no health insurance of her own.  I feel like I have made a friend for life and cannot wait until my next appointment!

Yesterday before my massage I had an appointment with the electrophysiologist (there's that fancy word again) and he said I am doing great.  My device is "pacing" about 40% of the time and the rest of the time it's just me naturally.  My next echocardiogram is in March and he is also hopeful that I will get some improved results.  That only occurs in about 25% of CRT patients, he said.  Also, I am walking more and just feeling better all the time.  I have a personal goal to lose 40# by mid-summer and am once again keeping track of calories, sodium, and fat grams.  Christmas wreaked havoc on me as I gave in to all of the goodies.  Now it's time to put away the past and head into 2012 with renewed passion!

No comments:

Post a Comment